Quick Links

Useful Links

Cromwell Community College

Hospitality & Catering 

“One cannot think well, live well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”

Virginia Wolf

Welcome to the Hospitality & Catering subject page. Below you will find a breakdown of each year group, including what is taught, how we assess, what enrichment opportunities there are and what can be expected in terms of homework. If you need any more information please contact the Head of Hospitality & Catering, Mrs Ellis, at yellis@cromwell.cambs.sch.uk.

Click here to see a visual representation of our Hospitality & Catering curriculum from Year 10 - Year 11

Click here to view the Hospitality & Catering curriculum within the Technology curriculum map

 Homework / Revision

Homework is set on a regular basis by the class teacher and can be accessed by logging into your Go4Schools account. 

Here are links to useful websites to enhance your learning: 

Excellent Revision Sheets




Ability Grouping

Hospitality & Catering is taught in mixed ability classes.

Teaching Staff

Mr M Boyle

Ms Y Ellis

Mr L Oliver-Jackson


Key Stage 4

WJEC Level 1/2 Award in Hospitality and Catering 5569QA

What will I study?

You will learn information and skills that are relevant to any job that requires you to work with food and you will develop a wide variety of advanced practical skills.  Catering needs attention to detail and a professional approach to producing dishes of a high standard is very important.

The key topics covered are: 

  • The hospitality industry
  • Hygiene and safety
  • Nutrition
  • Menu planning
  • Catering for special diets 

The course is split into two units: 

Unit 1 - The Hospitality and Catering Industry.  This unit develops your understanding of the industry. You will learn about different establishments and providers, job opportunities, meeting customer needs, legislation and the ways in which these outlets operate. This unit is assessed by an online examination. 

Unit 2 - Hospitality and Catering in Action.  This unit requires you to safely plan, prepare, cook and present dishes for different groups and their special dietary needs. 

How will I learn?

You will have a variety of practical and written tasks in Year 10 to build up skills and knowledge ready for the controlled assessment in year 11. The exam will be sat in Year 10. 

How will I be assessed? 

You will be continually assessed during the course.  You will know what you have done well and what you can improve in order to achieve the highest marks.  The practical cooking internally assessed unit will count for 60% of your final grade.  The exam makes up the other 40%. 

Your Unit 2 assessment is carried out in exam conditions.  You will have carried out a practice assignments and should be confident in what is required.  This assessment takes 9 hours to complete. You will be graded: - pass, merit, distinction or distinction*. 

Please click here to view the Level 2 Catering exam specification 

Will there be any controlled assessment?

For Unit 1 you will complete an on-line external assessment lasting 80 minutes.

The Unit 2 controlled assessment task is carried out at the start of Year 11.  This will be based on a task set by the exam board.  It is marked by your teacher and moderated by the exam board. 

Will there be any independent study? 

Throughout Years 10 and 11 you will be required to complete set homework tasks.  These are important to help you make notes in preparation for your assessments.  You may also be asked to carry out practical cooking tasks at home.   Controlled assessments must be completed in supervised class time. 

What do I need for this course? 

You will need to provide ingredients for your practical work and containers to take your food home in.  It is also desirable to have a white/or black chef’s jacket. If not, an apron is an essential item. Good organisation is important as you will need to bring your ingredients in each week. 

Where can this course take me? 

The WJEC Level 1/2 award in hospitality and catering has been designed to support learners who want to learn about this vocational sector. It is most suitable as a foundation for further study, providing a core depth of knowledge and a range of specialist and general skills that will support your progression to further learning and employment. Learners completing the Level 1/2 award in hospitality and catering may be interested in progressing to Level 3 qualifications. There are also a wide variety of food, nutrition and hospitality related courses available at university or apprenticeships available.