Quick Links

Useful Links

Cromwell Community College

Hair & Beauty 

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

Welcome to the Hair & Beauty subject page. Below you will find a breakdown of each year group, including what is taught, how we assess, what enrichment opportunities there are and what can be expected in terms of homework. If you need any further information please contact the Head of Beauty, Miss Stone, at kstone@cromwell.cambs.sch.uk.

Click here to see a visual representation of our Beauty curriculum from Year 10 - Year 11

Click here to see the Hair & Beauty curriculum map for Key Stage 4 


Homework is set on a regular basis by the class teacher and can be accessed by logging into your Go4Schools account. 

Ability Grouping

Hair & Beauty is taught in mixed ability groups.


VTCT Level 2 Technical award in the study of hair and beauty CO2A5

This course will enable you to gain both the theoretical and academic skills needed for progression.  You will develop a real understanding of what it is to work in this sector.

What will I study?

The VTCT Level 2 technical award in and the study of hair and beauty has been designed to support you to develop a broad and comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the hair and beauty sector.  This qualification will develop academic and study skills that will support progression within the hair and beauty sector.

You will follow three mandatory units:

Unit UCO90:  Business and entrepreneurship in the hair and beauty sector

In this unit you will learn about what a business is, business structures, careers and progression, beauty and hair services, the industries contribution to the economy, the history of the sector, entrepreneurship, planning a business opportunity, marketing principles and methods. 

Unit UCO91:  Anatomy, physiology and cosmetic science.

In this unit you will learn about what the anatomy of the hair, skin and nails, cosmetic testing, animal testing, types of products and their effects, historical development of products and manufacturing impacts.

Unit UCO92:  Design in the hair and beauty sector

In this unit you will learn about design briefs and principles, marketing and the impact of these, action plans and targets, review and feedback.

Who is the course for?

This qualification is most suited for learners wishing to pursue a career in the hair and beauty industry or who want to work in related fields such as the media or theatre.

What entry requirements are there?

To have an interest in the hair and beauty industry. A short interview may be required.

How is my work assessed?

The course is assessed by a synoptic assessment with 60% of your final grade, the assessment will focus on all 3 units. The assessment is released in December and students have 12 weeks to complete this in class observed by the teacher. The remaining 40% of the grade is assessed via an external exam which focuses on Unit UCO90 and UCO91. This must be taken at the end of year 11.  The qualification is graded as follows: Level 2 Distinction *, L2 distinction, L2 merit, L2 pass, L1 distinction, L1 merit, L1 pass.

Please click here to view the Hair & Beauty exam specification 

Will there be any independent study?

You will be expected to complete independent study on a weekly basis.

Where will this course take me?

If you successfully achieve this qualification, you could progress to higher level vocationally related qualifications. 

There are additional qualifications which these courses could lead to, for example, fashion and photographic make-up, nail technology, media make up, massage and aromatherapy.

Successful completion of this course could also lead to apprenticeships in hairdressing, barbering, beauty therapy and nails services.  The qualification may also be useful to those seeking to progress to qualifications in a range of industries including complementary and alternative therapies, spa therapy, fashion and photography, theatre and media, sport and active leisure.