Learning Resource Centre
Learning Resource Centre Manager – Mrs Harding assisted by Cromwell pupil librarians
The Learning Resources Centre is located in the centre of the school opposite the English corridor and offers a comprehensive selection of reading material for all year groups, an up to date non-fiction section to support the national curriculum, an extensive Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) area including Post 16 & Post 18 options, a comfortable environment for research and learning.
The college uses Eclipse.net, an online interactive library system, where students can access their library account, search for books, other resources and reserve items of their choice, from a PC in any area of the school.
Using the Learning Resource Centre could not be easier; pupils use a biometric recognition system to borrow resources, from fiction books to DVDs. All pupils are offered this as the most secure and efficient way of borrowing - any pupil also has the right to opt out!
The goal of the Learning Resource Centre is to ensure that all members of the college community have equitable access to books, information, and information technology.
We work closely with the local primary schools and the Learning Resource Centre is proud to offer an induction day for all Year 6 pupils who are joining Cromwell each year.
An induction to the Learning Resource Centre is also offered to 6th form students who are considering joining Cromwell for their Post-16 studies.
Pupils can order books from The Scholastic Book Club. Please speak to Mrs Harding for more information.
When the Learning Resource Centre celebrates World Book Day each pupil in school will receive a free book voucher.
The Learning resource Centre is open daily from 8:45am until 3:30pm
On Monday & Wednesday the supported Homework Club runs from 3:20pm until 5pm
- Approximately 14,000 books
- A full reference book section
- Local information area
- A computerised issuing library system with search facilities
- Audio CD’s & DVD’s
- Stationary shop – basic items for sale –these need to be purchased via ParentPay
- 32 PC’s with internet access and networked programmes, full Microsoft Office Suite
- Mobile Interactive Projector
- Open for 6thform study all day every day
- Soft seating for relaxed reading
- Reading groups for years 7 to 9 throughout the year
- Games days are Monday and Wednesday lunchtimes
Other events and opportunities:
- Autumn Term – a visit from an author to Year 7 pupils
- Book sales from local book shops throughout the year
- Librarian training offered to Year 7 pupils
- Daily newspapers, magazines & journals
Copyright © 2016 Cromwell Community College